Tuesday 2 March 2010

Hello Kitty bag

A year ago I would not have even dreamed of crocheting anything and did not even want to. I am very impatient, so I want to see results immediately and crocheting takes time. But then I won the box of doilies from an auction and my creative juices got the better of me. I started to search ideas for using the doilies in craft projects. I found very nice and inspiring crocheting blogs and many Flickr groups full of crocheted goodness. Then I realized that my doilies were not enough, I wanted something else. I was especially smitten by some really cute Hello Kitty accessories and I wanted to make those for Emma. After a long search I finally found what I was looking for and ordered a crafts book called Hello Kitty Pompom and Knit Goods  from eBay, bought some yarn from a Finnish yarn shop, Lankaidea, and got to work.



It took me almost three months to finish this one, since I only made a few squares here and then, and never seemed to have the time to actually concentrate on this. Then one day I realized that I had more than enough Hello Kitty squares ready and it was time to assemble the bag.

This is the end result. I am very happy and proud that I managed to make this. My friends couldn't believe that it was handmade and by me :) The lining and handles are my own design, since I did not like the original design.



The yarn I used is Mandarin Petit (from Sandnes), colours 1001 white, 2004 yellow, 4505 pink and 4301 light pink. The lining is light pink flannel, leftovers from a night gown I made for Emma.

Here is a close up of a Kitty square:

Since I had more squares than I needed for the bag, I decided to make some coin purses as well. A while ago I ordered some zippers from an Etsy seller and even though the colours are lovely, I had a little mishap with unit conversions. I ordered zippers that were too short to use in any of my clothes-making projects. After making these two coin purses, I only have 48 short zippers left... Any ideas what to make with those?

4 comments:

Anu ja Ninja said...

Mielettömän suloinen Hello Kitty -laukku!

anu

Tuia said...

Kiitos Anu!

Anonymous said...

Oh la la, j'en ai une ici qui en rêve déjà!

Tuia said...

Framboise, je crois que toutes les petites filles aiment Hello Kitty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...