Tuesday, 31 August 2010

I am back - with dishcloths

Sorry for being absent for a few weeks. Life got in the way of blogging - it seems that going back to work after holidays is much harder when the summer has been as amazing as this year! I am now slowly getting back on track, so here are a few dishcloths I have made recently. 

I am loving the colours of these yarns! I used yarn called Katia bamboo I bought from Tallinn, Estonia and I think it is the perfect yarn for dishcloths.

Actually there are more but I have already given them away. These are very popular and I know why: they are ecological, anti-bacterial, re-usable and quite cheap to make, not to mention how pretty they are! I would much rather wipe the kitchen table with a bright and pretty dish cloth than with some basic store bought thingy.

Edit. I am not very good with HTML, but I participated in the Link party by Tea Rose Home and wanted to link back. I could not get her pretty button to work, but I hope you go check out her blog anyway. It is full of creative stuff!

Monday, 9 August 2010

Crocheted basket

This basket was very easy to make but very difficult to photograph! It looks crooked in every picture. Finally, I just had to cheat a bit and stuff the bottom of the basket to make it look more even. I think it looks better, when I stuff it with my yarns.

 See? It does help a bit, but not much. Sigh. Any thoughts? Help?

Monday, 2 August 2010

Door stop

I just had to make one. I have tried to find a door stop that would look nice in our home but so far I have been unsuccessful. I think people in Finland do not use door stops or something, the selection is so scarce! I only found iron stops in the shape of different farm animals and although I have nothing against cows or chickens, they just did not seem right for our home.

I decided to make a very simple door stop and made a fabric cube which is a bit narrower at the top. It also has a handle to make it easier to move around. I used again some Ikea fabrics: an old pillow cover I had made earlier and replaced since, and fabric scraps from the previous projects: wide black and white stripes and narrow yellow and white stripes. I really like the fabrics, since they match so nicely with the wallpaper behind our dining table (shown in the first picture). I put sand and wadding inside and since I wanted to make sure that the sand would not leak, I put it inside two plastic bags. The door stop really works even though it could have been a bit smaller. Well, the next one will be perfect!

Sunday, 1 August 2010


I saw an adorable puppet theatre in Ariadne at Home Kinderen magazine (voorjaar 2010) and just had to make one for Emma.I found the instructions from the magazine's internet pages, but since they were in Dutch, I really could only guess how it was supposed to be made. Fortunately, it is very simple, I think the choice of fabrics make it so nice!

The main fabric I used, is again from Ikea, the curtains are made from the same fabric as Emma's top and Emma's cousins' dresses (and I still have a lot of it left...), the lace is from my stash. The ribbon for the frame came from Pip Studio's sheet packet, the bed sheets were wrapped in it and the curtain holders are Tilda ribbon.

Edit. Few closeups, as requested by Marianna :)

I chose not to put screws to the door frame, since I wanted the theatre to be easily movable to different door frames. Instead, I used an adjustable chin pull up bar, and although the theatre does not cover the whole door opening, it still works just fine. I guess now I should make a few more hand puppets for Emma...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...